五、表示“要求”后的宾语从句
主要是指ask, demand, require, request等后的宾语从句,从句谓语由“should+动词原形”构成,其中的should在美国英语中通常可以省略。如:
I ask that he leave. 我要求他走开。
He requires that I (should) appear. 他要求我出场。
They require that I go at once. 他们要求我立刻走。
I demand that John (should) go there at once. 我要求约翰立即到那里去。
I requested that he should use his in fluence on my behalf. 我请求他为我施用他的影响。
The asked that the message be given to Madame immediately. 他要求把信息立即带给夫人。
They demanded that the right to vote be given to every adult man. 他们要求给予每个成年男子以选举权。
六、表示“提议”“投票”后的宾语从句
主要是指move, vote等后的宾语从句,从句谓语由“should+动词原形”构成,其中的should在美国英语中通常可以省略。如:
I move that we accept the proposal. 我提议通过这项提案。
Mr. Chairman, I beg to move that the meeting be adjourned. 主席先生,我提议休会。
Congress has voted that the present law be maintained. 国会投票决定维持现在这条法律。
Claudel moved that Norwood should be made a member of the committee. 克洛戴尔提出动议,让诺伍德当一名委员。
七、表示“敦促”后的宾语从句
主要是指动词urge后的宾语从句,从句谓语由“should+动词原形”构成,其中的should在美国英语中通常可以省略。如:
He urges that the restrictions be lifted. 他敦促取消这些限制。
He urged that they go to Europe. 他敦促他们到欧洲去。
He urged that the rates should be reduced. 他敦请减轻捐税。
He urged that the matter should go to arbitration. 他极力主张这件事要提交仲裁。
They urged that relief work should be given priority. 他们敦促将救济工作放在优先位置。